Establishing New Utility Service

New Residential and Business Customers

Residential Customers:

Commercial/Business Customers:

  1. All applicants require 24-hour advance notice

  2. Applications received on weekends, holidays, or after 5:00 p.m. will be processed as received the following business day

  3. Or call the New Florence Utility Billing Department at (573) 835-2106 if you need assistance

Transfers of Service or Ending Service

To transfer services from one City of New Florence account location to another, or to request an end to services at your location and a FINAL bill, please call the New Florence Utility Billing Department at (573) 835-2106. Forwarding information will be needed for the final bill and remaining deposit (if a deposit is held).

Security Deposits

  • Residential applicants must put down a deposit of $100 for water/sewer and $175 for gas (if applicable) before services can be turned on or transferred

  • New Commercial utility customers must make an initial cash deposit at the time of application of service. The amount is based on two months average bill.

  • Deposits will be refunded upon move out

  • Customers transferring from one location to another will have the deposit transferred to the new location


Tammy Powell
Accounts Clerk

217 South Main Street
PO Box 70
New Florence, MO 63363


Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Open through lunch

Utility Service Connections for Landlords, Management Companies, Contractors and/or Home Renovators

Landlords/Management Companies

To establish a utility service between tenants you can place this type of application on file with the City of New Florence. Upon contacting City Hall when a renter vacates, it can be placed back in the applicant's name on the date requested, with 24-hour notice.

Contractors/Home Renovators

Must hold on file the following type of application in order to establish utility service for each "owned" property during a renovation period. Once the application is on file a call will need to be made for each new property renovated, along with proof of ownership at the time of the new request.

Additional Information May Be Required Upon Review of These Applications

  • Proof of ownership (deed, tax or mortgage paperwork)

  • Management agreements between company applying for water, and the owner

  • Listing of all properties in the City of New Florence service area under the "said" owner

  • MO tax ID information

  • City of New Florence Business License (if applicable, under City Code Section 605.030